Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Application: Quasar

This time around I'll be showing a great open source accounting package called Quasar. It runs with PostgreSQL, and is the most comprehensive accounting package I've seen in the open source realm.


This program has features that normally are only seen in commercial accounting packages. I'll step through usage of this program. First thing you need to do is setup a company, you can even import some sample accounts. Although I usually build these from scratch this is a nice feature.


Once you've setup your company you are ready to start. On the ledger tab you simply enter the transactions as they come in. Although if you make a mistake there is no undo function or similar, and sometimes if you create an account incorrectly you cannot delete it. So backup often. In fact I usually backup before every session.

On the whole this program has kept me away from windows in the one area where I might have needed to use windows. If you need a full featured accounting package, and gnucash and it's ilk don't cut the mustard this is the application for you.

-NT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home